3 hours and a few wrenches…
It doesn’t take long to tear one of these bikes down to the bare frame. I finished working the ‘real’ job at 2 today, and by 5:30 the bare frame was laying on its side receiving some final welding. If only we could re-assemble them that quickly…
We have imposed a deadline upon ourselves of Memorial Day weekend to have all of these bikes complete, and hopefully running. Though running is sort of optional. More on the reason for the deadline in a future post.
In order to meet that deadline, we’re having to step up production substantially. Emma’s bike still needed to be stripped so the frame could be powder coated and the engine could have some cosmetic upgrades performed. Sitting in a garage by yourself tearing a bike to pieces is somewhat therapeutic. While Josh was at work, I decided to see how much of a dent I could make in the tear down of the 400. It turns out, I was able to make quite a dent. The bike went from looking like this:
to looking like this in a short afternoon.
Solid progress. Once it was stripped I shaved a few last tabs, finished welding that battery box support tray, and plugged a few odd holes. The frame, swingarm, sidestand, and several engine mounting plates will be making the trip to visit Tracey at Commercial Powdercoat for a bit of love tomorrow. The tank will also be heading back. The powder coaters stripped the red paint off the tank for us yesterday. We’ll sand it and prep it for our planned paint scheme featuring some high gloss clear coat over raw steel with gloss white side panels. We think its going to look pretty sweet. Stand by to see if we’re right.
The stripped tank:
There’s the motor: ready for some cleaning and bead blasting, then some selective polishing. It’s definitely the lightest engine we’ve dealt with so far. One very scrawny dude was able to extract it himself, without breaking anything!
Here is the rest of the bike, occupying the guest bedroom, I mean retail display section of the Spin Cycle shop.
Hopefully we’ll have everything back form the powder coaters by the end of the week so we can very promptly re-assemble it, before we forget where all of those little parts go…
next post: Polishing Emma’s Nuts »